Monday, March 17, 2008

The Itchies by Nannette Croce

Tough day to write a gratitude post. Over the past couple of weeks I’ve developed some form of dermatitis––itchy red bumps––and now the medication I just started taking has me so lethargic that typing on my laptop feels more like running a marathon. And did I mention it’s my day to pay bills?

I am searching long and hard for something to feel grateful about.

Oh sure, there’s the usual stuff. I mean mild dermatitis isn’t exactly a terminal disease.There are medications to make me feel better. Yeah, yeah.

One reason the mildest malfunctioning of my body brings me down is that I am normally very healthy. At the doctor’s the other day my blood pressure reading was so low the nurse took it twice. For me, a bad day is when I can’t start with a workout at the gym or my power walk. At 54 I still take the stairs two at a time. I’m used to feeling good––really good. So while a backache or even a cold may be a minor inconvenience to someone who usually feels mediocre or worse, it leaves me feeling irritable and chomping at the bit to not just do, but enjoy, my normal activities.

I hate feeling bad because I usually feel so good.

Hmm. I guess this did just turn into a gratitude post.

3 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

I'm like you - my bp is so low I have to watch standing up quickly....high for me is normal for others!

So sorry about the itchies...new detergent? new clothes? new sheets or blankets or ...?

Angie Ledbetter said...

Ditto on the low blood pressure. I had a doc ask me once if I was an athelete. hahahahaha....couldn't he SEE me??

Feel better soon. I'm hardly ever sick either (I have that super immune system teachers develop from being submerged in the germ pool daily), so being sick feels like being hammered. Thank God...that only happens maybe once every other year or so!

Barbara Quinn said...

Ooooh, I hate rashes. The annoying buggers insist on being paid attention to. I hope the meds soothe you soon and that the cure isn't worse than the rash. Caladryl works sometimes for me.

Listen to our Podcasts