Monday, April 14, 2008

My Very Accurate Mirrors by Nannette Croce

Remember that Seinfeld episode where Elaine complains about “thin mirrors” in fitting rooms? It makes me appreciate the very dependable full-length mirror in my bedroom. It always shows the true me. It’s one of those antique reproductions that tilts on a stand. Sometimes from cleaning or bumping it tilts the wrong way, making me appear uncharacteristically short and dumpy, but with a slight adjustment I'm back to the tall, slim gal I am in reality.

Lucky I have that mirror, because it’s the only accurate one in the house. The others are so distorted they belong in a fun house. It's like I gain five pounds just by changing rooms.

Now my bedroom mirror isn’t perfect mind you. While great for checking out an outfit, it’s lousy for makeup. I suppose it’s the light or something about the tilt distorting close-ups because it shows lines and wrinkles I don’t have.

My perfect makeup mirror hangs above my dresser. That’s a true antique I inherited from my grandmother, so old in fact, that the surface looks a little grainy, but amazingly I see my face quite clearly with none of the lines my other mirror shows, though they can’t be more than a few feet apart.

I feel sorry for all those poor women stuck with bad mirrors, and I am so grateful for my two very accurate ones.

4 comments:

K said...

Too funny! I do so love those truly "realistic" mirrors that make a girl feel happy. We all need one in the home. You are so lucky you have two! Your entry this morning made me smile. Thank you!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Haw! ... give me that mirror....

Angie Ledbetter said...

Mirror, mirror
on the wall
I just can't wait
until you fall!

Barbara Quinn said...

It's amazing what a difference the right mirror can make. Whenever I go shopping I have to take it home and try the stuff on in front of my own mirror which is definitely the only correct one in the world. ;-) You are lucky you have two you like in your home.

Listen to our Podcasts