Saturday, April 12, 2008

My Drug Problem by Angie Ledbetter

Sadly, the title of this entry is familiar to many parents. I don't know anyone who hasn't been affected by drug or alcohol addiction; or has someone very close to them who has. This realization causes me worry for the future of our younger generations. Think about the people you know. Aren't many/most of them dealing with addiction issues?

The fact that I am not, and neither are my children (please, God, and knock wood), is attributable to the values and ethics instilled by my parents long ago. But many parents warn their kids about drugs. What makes the difference in those who fall prey and those who escape the devastating web of these substances? I believe it has to do primarily with graduating from the School of Drugs. I've read similar "research" from others, and the easiest way to explain this teaching is to give examples from my own childhood "drug problem."

I was drug to church every single solitary Sunday of the world, no matter if we were out of town or I didn't feel good. I was constantly being drug to family functions, parties and reunions; all of which I hated. Likewise funerals, weddings and meals. My ears are probably larger than they should be from all the times I was drug to my room and punished for being sassy, disrespectful, or for failing to make good grades at school. Several times I was drug to the sink and my mouth washed out for spouting an unacceptable word. More times than I'd like to remember, I was drug from my warm bed to do Saturday Morning House Cleaning. My parents drug me on weekends and school vacations to plant sweet potatoes, work car washes or bake sales to earn money for Girl Scout trips. I was drug frequently against my will to help others who had no one else at home to do chores.

Those drugs (and many others) forced upon me by my parents still run through my veins today and affect how I act and make choices. The residual effect is stronger than that left by all combined popular "recreational" drugs available today. And now, my poor children, hopefully, are suffering from the same generational genetically encoded behavior pattern. BIG words of gratitude to parents who are drugging their offspring today.

11 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

Yup, I was drug too! *laughing* - and I'm so glad my mom instilled in me certain values-they have done me well...I passed them to my son.

Did I take drugs or too much drink -? Well, yes...at a small dark corner of my young life - it didn't last long and it wasn't devastating...and I think that is because of my strength and will to do what I needed to do to become the woman I am.

Anonymous said...

I believe we all have the same "Drug" problem. I, too was drug to all kinds of things I did not want to be involved in as a child.

Praise God, recreation drugs was not of interest to me even though I was around it several times in my later teens and twenties. I think I was always to afraid of addiction to drink too much or take the drug of choise.

I personally have seen too often the effects of drug addicts and alcholism. It is not pretty.

Mary Ann Ledbetter said...

Angie,
What an imaginative drug article!

Entirely true. If I could, I'd never have lifted all those groundings imposed on our sons by my husband, the Marine. He was right. I was wrong.

By God's grace and endless love, our boys are fine. As well, their wives and our granddaughter, whom I pray gets drugged to every single one of those destinations as you and your siblings!

Only you!

Love you,
MA

Anonymous said...

Angie,
Being drug like we were seems to be not such a bad thing now. Our boys are still being drug all over when they are both home. No complaints from them.
Great thoughts and hugs to all
Oren

Anonymous said...

No truer words have ever been spoken, Angie. Thanks for drugging that article up. One of my favorite commercials of all times (next to the Sonic runs-they are damn funny) are the commercials about talking to your kids, THEY WILL LISTEN. It is so true. Of course, they may be rolling their eyes or looking at their cell phone, willing it to ring, but they ARE listening. Drugs are so powerful today that we must do anything and everything we can to get between "them" and our children. Have a beautiful day! Robin

Angie Ledbetter said...

It's a scary thing...a monster we have to constantly guard against. Love to you all.

Anonymous said...

LOVED IT!!!!! I will be quoting your "drugged" phrases for a very long time. My husband loved it too!! Your thoughts are awesome!! Keep it up, Angie!!

Anonymous said...

I was very disappointed to read this piece. Your knowledge of addiction is limited and narrowminded as well. How an individual was raised will not prevent addiction. Would you state that cancer is a disease caused by lack of family values? Or any other disease inherited by genetics? It is impossible to avoid addiction and attribute it " to the values and ethics instilled by my parents long ago."

As addiction treatment advances, more studies show the genetic connection. Personally, I was raised by a wonderful family with values, ethics and happiness. But neither my brother or I were able to avoid addiction, inherited from our biological father (whom we weren't raised with and had no knowledge of his disease.)

Please rethink the suffering caused by addiction and withold judging those who suffer. There by for the grace of God go I.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic article – you are so SMART!!!!!!! Lots to say about strict parenting that helps fight predisposition. Bravo! PAO & Gary

Angie Ledbetter said...

Dear Anonymous:

You said, "I was very disappointed to read this piece. Your knowledge of addiction is limited and narrowminded as well."

Because of the limited space we are restricted to for blog entries, I couldn't go into the background of my knowledge of addiction, but I can assure you I'm VERY familiar with genetic predisposition to it. Many MANY people related by blood and marriage have fought that very fight. I didn't mean to imply that the type of rearing a child receives is the be all-cure all for keeping kids away from drugs and alcohol. Quite the contrary. Kids whose gene pools are full of past and present addictions have an even tougher fight ahead of them...making strict and structured parenting even more important. I'm not judging ANYONE, just trying to pass along a single important factor in prevention -- especially to those like myself who know the pull of genetics.

If you'd like to talk more, please send me your email address through this forum. And good luck in your journey!

CJ, Mary Ann, Oren, Robin, Michele, PAO and Gary, glad you enjoyed the post.

Barbara Quinn said...

Angie, Thanks for having the courage to take on a difficult topic. Addiction devastates lives, not only of the addicts but of those who care for them. The more support and guidance we can give people with a predisposition the better. Best of luck with those kids..

Listen to our Podcasts