Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Appreciation Made Simple by Kat Magendie

I must tell you that last night, I went outside, and I looked up, and there was a single firefly, or lightening bug as we called them as kids. I had just had that memory surface like an old song, and there one was, come winking to me as if it wanted to say, "We are still here, same as you." I watched it fly off and I smiled. Then I searched for Old Moon, and there, between the trees, Moon played hide and seek. I laughed, because it is hard for Moon to hide its ethereal charms. I howled at it, very low and soft, just to let it know I appreciated.

I appreciated the night. I appreciated the firefly coming to me. I appreciated the moon playing hide and seek. I appreciated the silence and the wind in the leaves. I appreciated my husband and my friends and my life and my family, and my son who is wiser than he knows and writes like he has an ancient soul when he lets himself into that place. I appreciate the day and the night. The wind and the rain. The red and the purple. The rough and the smooth. The sleep and the waking. The different and the same. The cool and the warm. You and me. Us and them. We and they. I appreciate.

I am awed and amazed and thankful as I appreciate.

Listen to our Podcasts