Monday, July 21, 2008

Art Therapy by Angie Ledbetter

Searching for graphics for issues of Rose & Thorn Literary ezine gives me a chance to pour over artists' offerings every now and then. The works of master photographers, digital/graphic artists, great painters, and all manner of artistic genius captivates me for hours sometimes. Having very little of that talent myself, I'm intrigued by the beauty or surprising elements others use to bring their imaginations to life.

Cruising around art.com is like taking a mini-trip to a wonderful museum. Colors, images and ideas swirl before my eyes, sometimes making me forget everything but the enjoyment of the art. At that website and others like it, you can use the search engine to plug in any word and be instantly transported to the past, or soak up what modern day artists have created. And some of the works that are really intriguing are futuristic, so it's almost like boarding a free time machine into the world of art. What a great way to spend an hour or two without having to leave home.

I think looking at all this artwork has also encouraged me to try my hand at creating some visual poetry from pages of an old text book. Take a virtual art trip today and see if you're not similarly inspired. I'm grateful for those who can craft wonderful works of art to share with the world, and for this thing called the Internet which allows me to tour the cyber museums in my pajamas with coffee in hand.

3 comments:

Barbara Quinn said...

And what fine art you do find for the zine. I love seeing the paintings and photos. Without art the world would be a desolate place.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/07/20/elderly.artist.ap/index.html

is a fascinating article about a 112 year old artist.

Barbara Quinn said...

make that:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/


07/20/elderly.artist.ap/index.html

Kathryn Magendie said...

I'm checking out these links!

Listen to our Podcasts