Thursday, November 20, 2008

Finding Power by Kat Magendie





I remember days when I felt I had no voice. When what I thought and what I did were separate entities, because they had to be. I could write a very long blog about the instances where I felt I had no power, but I will not bore you with the details. Most all of us at one time or another has felt powerless against some force that has pushed its will upon us. I also know there were times I felt powerless when I really was not. I either was too afraid, or too naïve, or so used to how things were rather than how they could be that I did not make a change; I did not find my Voice, or my Power.

The other day, I had a conversation with someone, and without giving away details or places or events, this person said, “I really want to say something, but I’m afraid of the consequences.” I looked at her: this woman who is smart, capable, beautiful, and I wanted to tell her, “You have more power than you think.” But, what if I convinced her to speak up and the consequences she was afraid of happened? What good would her power be to her then? Of course, if the situation she is in warrants such care, such fear of reprisal, wouldn’t she be better off out of the situation?

Unlike her, I do not fear reprisal, because of different levels of perceived power. If I speak up, and the consequences happen, I can shrug it off, go on my way, and be just as happy, if not happier. But for this woman, she cannot perceive her power in that way. She will see the outcome as disastrous. I recognize my power in situations much more now than I ever did in my early adulthood. One learns that there is always something else. There is always another. There is always the next thing. There are some situations that are just not worth the anxiety, or the discomfort, or the sad, or the anger, or the fear, or the stress. I want to pass my power on to this woman, to tell her to stand up for herself, to give her the eyes to see inward the power she possesses, but I cannot. She must find it for herself.

And I, well, I feel grateful that I have my voice, my power. That I can easily shrug and say, “Sorry you don’t see it my way. But, I’m standing firm.” And then, if I have to, I walk away, and in some instances, I walk away with a big fat grin.

5 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

Nice to get to be an Amazon sometimes, huh? :) Even nicer when we can help someone else see their own powers, even if they're hidden or buried. Nice post.

Barbara Quinn said...

What a fine reminder that we can tap into that deep well of power that we all possess and that sometimes the most powerful thing we can do is to let go, to walk away, to leave the hate and anger behind. Without hate and anger that person has no control over you. Yes!

Terri Tiffany said...

Loved this--wish I had that power all the time! But ala, some days I lose it:( Thanks for the nice boost!

Kathryn Magendie said...

"I will survive...I will survive - hey hey...." (laughing)

patresa hartman said...

big huge power. yes! and i liked what you said about knowing there is always next, or another, or... i think i'm getting better about recognizing that, too. i'm not all the way there, but i can feel it. yay for power and progress.

Listen to our Podcasts