Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hands, by Angie Ledbetter

I did an experiment today to be consciously aware of all the things I enjoy or produce due to having two working hands. This came about because I was thinking about people who do not have this benefit -- my elderly neighbor friend who suffers with arthritis, a good friend who just had surgery for carpal tunnel, and my cousin who lost an arm in Vietnam.

Because my hands function as they are supposed to, I am able to communicate by computer, which is a big part of my social life, as well as my work as a writer. I am able to cook for my family and others without even thinking about it. I can reach for things in a cabinet without pain or struggle, and do all the things my family needs doing. I can vote without assistance, and drive wherever I want to, and wave, and enjoy the use of expressive hand motions when talking, and scratch an itch.

It's something I've never really taken time to think about, as well as being one of the many blessings I just assume will always be part of my life. But after a day of focusing on my hands and what they are able to do, I don't think I'll ever take their abilities for granted again.

Let us lend our hands to those in need, and remember to appreciate the gifts our two good hands allow us to have and share.

"Gratefulness is the key to a happy life that we hold in our hands, because if we are not grateful, then no matter how much we have we will not be happy -- because we will always want to have something else or something more." ~ David Steindl-Rast

10 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

My old hand - faithful appendages they are! lovely post and image.

Barbara Quinn said...

My hands are clapping in gratitude for your insightful post!

Anonymous said...

As the one that just had surgery on my elbow and wrist, I fully understand the gratitude to having two functioning hands. Thank God it was only one hand and my left one because it was hard enough having at least my "good" hand to try and do "the basics" in everyday life. I am very grateful for successful surgeries to remove the pain I was having, but even more grateful now that I'm regaining use of two much needed hands!! Oh how we take the little things for granted sometimes.

Angie Ledbetter said...

My hands are waving and blowing kisses to you, friends.

Ami said...

Our hands really do a lot, don't they. Wonderful post!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Tru, so so glad you are better and have both hands again, and without pain!

Thank you, Ami.

patresa hartman said...

hands are awesome. i love good, strong hands. they might be my favorite part of my body, even.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Patresa, me and you both, followed by eyes. :)

Anonymous said...

Angie,
Just today, holding the sweaty head of a young exhausted crying young lady who was upset at her race time. All the while my heart was swelling at the thought of how hard she worked to get where she is. Hands are great. Good day again. This is why I do the coaching gig.
Oren

Angie Ledbetter said...

Oren, you have some of the biggest, strongest, most gentle & encouraging hands I know.

Listen to our Podcasts