Saturday, December 13, 2008

Rain Rain Don't Go Away by Kat Magendie

This is a simple yog. Simple and to the point. A simple thankfulness for what Father Sky gives to Mother Earth. Gives to this cove. Gives to Western North Carolina.

It is raining outside. A good rain. A rain that has been steady since sometime late last night.

I'd been watching the sky since yesterday morning. Watching fat black bloated clouds hover, blanketing my cove at Killian Knob. Watched the trees bend from the wind. Listened to the howl as that wind raced over the mountain ridges and down into the coves and hollows and valley.

But, nothing. No rain. Threatening, threatening. No rain. The day passed. I waited. I hoped.

Then, last night I woke to the sound of rain hitting the roof of my little log house. Oh! That sound! I've been waiting for it for so long. The darkling clouds had finally opened and let loose their contents in a nice downpour. Not a simple sprinkle. Not a fast quick rain and then gone. A good soaking rain.



And now the rain still falls. There is a white mist over the valley, hiding what I know is there. The cove feels even more secret. I am content.
This simple yog of thanks for rain. The ground soaking it up. The creek filling. I have need of nothing else this morning.

3 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

I can hear your creek. So glad y'all got the rain.

Barbara Quinn said...

Oh, yes, here's to nature's healing ways. Rain on...

patresa hartman said...

This makes me crave a good rain and a hidden cove. :)

Listen to our Podcasts