Thursday, October 30, 2008

Celebrate by Barbara Quinn

I’m most grateful for happy occasions. Life is filled with ups and downs, and it’s important to take the time to enjoy the ups when they arrive. The good times help us to get through the bad ones. Yes, they are often bittersweet. I miss people who used to be there. I don’t always feel my best. But, sometimes just attending a fun event can make me feel better, make me see that there is something up ahead that will be a joy.

I went to my first “bris” yesterday and what a pleasure it was to be present at this ritual circumcision. It’s not so much what happens though that was fascinating. Rather, for me, it’s the support and camaraderie present at these occasions that makes them special. Dozens of people gather round the new parents and new babe and share in the joy of a new life, a new beginning. What a wonder new life is. How nice to acknowledge that together.

Birthdays, graduations, christenings, weddings all are opportunities for us to gather together and share the company of others. We’re social beings and studies have shown the importance to health of having a support system.

Those we choose to spend good times with are often the same ones who are there during the difficult times. Think about the people you like to share good news with. They are probably the ones you’d like to have around when the going gets rough. Take the time to maintain those friendships. Time really does fly and life does have a way of rudely interrupting the best of plans. So why not celebrate! I intend to keep on partying for as long as I can. Cheers!

3 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

It is so important to party with your beloveds every chance you get.

Kathryn Magendie said...

So true, Barb! Cheers! :-)

patresa hartman said...

oh so true. a good celebration -- with much laughter -- is such good medicine. woo!

Listen to our Podcasts