Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dawg Tired by Angie Ledbetter

I'm tired and feel like hanging out on the couch all day. It's been a busy week with lots of kid-related volunteer activities. Approaching the mid-century mark in birthdays racked up, I'm glad I still have the ability to do these things, but several days in a row, and I'm beat. Thank God for good daily vitamins.

I'm grateful for my body's ability and willingness to participate in the things I want to do. I'm thankful the only pill I take is a multivitamin. I'm glad the fundraising and hurricane clean-up work at school went well, and that we had good weather while doing it. I am most thankful for a good night's rest (even with my husband's snoring) when the work was all done.

Being bone tired is a good feeling. I know I've accomplished work toward worthy goals, my body got some much needed exercise and my sleep was deep for a few hours.

And today, if I choose to relax and do none of the chores needing done around the house, I have a free pass to do so without any feelings of guilt. I may even sneak in a nap! With aromatic coffee poured and everyone else in the house asleep, ahhhh, I'm enjoying being surrounded by a bubble of quiet relaxation. What do you do that allows you to relax or sleep well?

9 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

This will sound weird, but my brain wears me out sometimes- and even in sleep it won't let me rest with all the dreams dreams dreams, but,if I manage to sleep most of the night,even with the dreaming, I feel refreshed in the morning...

Reading before bed helps - I try to go to bed at least an hour earlier than I used to, and then I read - by then the tylenol and advil or whatever has kicked in for my back and I'm ready to relax and sleep!

Angie Ledbetter said...

My brain produces dreams lots of nights about whatever it has been concentrating on during the day, like writing blog posts, doing VizPo, editing, whatever. I think this is a fairly new phenom, but it's strange. I feel like I'm still partially awake even when dreaming. ug. Glad you found ways to help you sleep better. It's so important.

Linda Hoye said...

Reading before bed is my thing too. Here's a strange thing that I have discovered about myself. If I lay on my side while reading, it puts me to sleep in a matter of minutes! I don't know why but it works for me.

The Paper Whisperer said...

Bless your heart! Sounds like you have a severe case of burning the candle at both ends...that burns! I take bubble baths, complete with candles (the one I have burned at both ends)and my new age meditation music. No books, no rubber duckies...just me and my bubbles. I also get in bed an hour early to read...makes for a nice sleep.

Barbara Quinn said...

Red wine with dinner...ah, that's my end of the day unwinder.

Angie Ledbetter said...

I love reading too, Linda. Glad you found a position that aids in catching some Zzzzz's.

I'm a good tub relaxer & sleeper too, PW!

Barb, I may have to try your glass o'wine sometime. ;)

patresa hartman said...

that picture cracks me UP!

and i ADORE the deep deep sleep that comes with total exhaustion. i think that's the big payoff. forget accomplishment; it's the sleep that rocks.

meditating in bed helps me fall asleep. i'm not very good at meditating, but doing it right when i go to bed seems to make me more competent. :)

Anonymous said...

I hate when my body is bone-tired and my mind has the adrenaline to go all night. I focus on my breath - an meditation technique that usually quiets my mind right to sleep.

Just found your blog today - happy to see fellow gratitude bloggers!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Patresa, you're so right about the goodness of deep sleep being a payoff. I say a rosary (or start one) when I can't get my mind quiet enough to relax. That usually does the trick. It's a good Catholic meditation method!

Katie, so glad you popped in to visit. Please come back! (Going check your place out now.)

Listen to our Podcasts