Monday, October 20, 2008

Grateful for Good Eats

Not only are the flavors and varieties of great fresh food available here in Louisiana, they're plentiful and affordable all year round.

I've had my times of menus featuring rolls of bologna and government subsidized food allotments, and many lean years which included cooking mostly beans and clipping coupons, so I fully appreciate the gift and blessing of living in one of the truly great culinary capitols of the world. We are a cultural melting pot here, and have great farmer's markets available. Dotting almost every corner of the city are mouth-watering restaurants serving up a banquet of choices -- Creole, Cajun, Spanish, Mexican, Italian, Lebanese, Greek, Thai, Chinese and Japanese, to name a few. We also have access to fresh produce and locally grown fruits.

Today (and every day) I'm full full full of gratitude for the dishes I prepare for myself and others, and that my family has the means to enjoy going out to eat sometimes. I will never forget the years I dreamt of having such opportunities, and the reasonable assurance that the lean years are now behind me...literally and figuratively. *smile*

7 comments:

patresa hartman said...

great timing. the world food prize symposium was just in des moines last weekend. while celebrating feeding the world, a big street festival also celebrated food from all over.

yum.

Barbara Quinn said...

You're so right about our abundance of food and our choices.
You can travel the world with your tastebuds and be as exotic as you dare. Yum!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Oh, how true it is! I miss the food there, that's for sure. There aren't many (good) places to eat near me, although I admit I haven't tried them all..but it's hard to compete with So Louisiana food! gawd! My Kingdom for a good shrimp po-boy!

Angie Ledbetter said...

My kind of festival, P. ;)

Barbara, you're so right. Abundance should be our new City name.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Kathryn...do ya think a poboy will keep in my carry-on bag for the flight to your place?

Anonymous said...

Try to find enough catfish in the mountain for a fish fry. Been there, done that. Mountain weather, La food. The best of both worlds.
Oren

Angie Ledbetter said...

Oren, you got dat right! Now...if only we could throw in the dutch oven. ;)

Listen to our Podcasts