Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Future Quinn by Barbara Quinn

I’ve mentioned before that I'm going to be a grandma. What a thrill it still is to write those words. My son and his wife recently found out that the baby they are expecting is a boy. If the technicians are right we’ll welcome the little guy at the end of October. I would have been equally happy with a boy or girl when I had my son, and I felt the same way about this grandchild. But knowing what the gender is makes the event that much more real and closer.

I’ve already started shopping for baby boy things. Oh, there are such cute little items that were not around when my son was born. Little booties made to look like sneakers. Adorable sunglasses and hats that make me smile when I see them. My husband is looking forward to buying a Wiffle Ball and bat for the babe. And I can’t wait to read stories to him the way I read them to my son. Salman Rushdie’s Haroun and the Sea of Stories was one of his favorites. We wore out our copy of Good Night Moon.

All around us the world may be topsy turvy. People continue fighting time worn wars. Politicians keep jockeying for attention. And the cost of food and gas are going up so much each week that I’ve reverted to my penny-pinching first married ways. Those lessons learned in the early days of marriage are coming in quite handy now. But all that pales in the face of the fact that soon there will be a new baby boy in the family.

How lovely to look forward to meeting my grandson in the future!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hard to believe I'm already old enough to realize that this too shall pass. High gas prices––been there. Stagflation––been there (though I wouldn't mind going back to the high interest rates we had the last time around). Mistaken quagmire of a war we can't get out of––been there too.Through all of it new lives keep coming into the world and bringing with them great promise.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Congratulations again. Our new babies always bring hope.

Listen to our Podcasts