Friday, January 25, 2008

All Warm Inside by Nannette Croce

A few days ago in my area a predicted rain changed to unpredicted snow around late afternoon. The accumulation was only 1-3 inches, but with temperatures holding at freezing, it played havoc with rush hour traffic, or so the radio said. Watching the heavy wet flakes stack up on the driveway and street, my mind drifted back to times spent idling in traffic while the sky grew dark. Jumping out of my car every so often to remove caked snow from my wipers, the only consolation being that mine was not one of the cars that skidded into each other a mile up the road. I remembered the time the Fed Ex guy hooked a chain to his van and pulled me out of a ditch when the road out of the corporate center had become indistinguishable.Then there was the afternoon and evening spent chasing after an over-stimulated two-year-old waiting for her Dad, whose company had shut down at noon, to come home and play in the snow. It was 7:00PM before I saw his car struggling to make those last few feet to the driveway. And oh those many mornings listening to lists of school closing numbers while running the limited childcare options over in my mind.

I went downstairs and poked my head into my husband’s office, knowing he’d be too engrossed in work to check the weather.

“Feel like making a fire? It’s snowing.”

“Hey, yeah. Can you make us some coffee?”

We took our laptops into the family room, sipped coffee in front of a warm fire, and, from time to time, remembered other winter events in the days when we had no choice but to take to the road.

3 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

It's nice to work from home, isn't it? *smiling*

Barbara Quinn said...

You're so right...There's nothing like sitting inside and watching the snow come down when you don't have to be anywhere else. It's so nice to be able to notice that the earth has a different sound, muffled and soft. And all that white is fascinating to watch.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Almost makes me wish we got real snow once a year here. Almost. But for the most part, I'm glad we only see "sneaux." ;)Your fireside visit sounds cozy.

Listen to our Podcasts