Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Moments of Solitude by Nannette Croce

Being alone doesn’t necessarily mean being lonely. One person feels alone in a crowd, another is “her own best company.”

I don’t know if I am my best company, but I find myself very good company.

Seems more and more people almost fear solitude. They walk around with tiny phones clipped to their ears so they can talk constantly, in the car, the grocery store, while exercising. If not talking, they IM or chat. Keeping constant contact is the mantra of our time. No one says, “leave me alone” anymore.

I not only enjoy being left alone from time to time, I need it to stay balanced.

I make my best decisions alone. I may solicit an opinion now and then, but I consider that opinion, and all others, in solitude. Ultimately no one knows me as well as I know myself. Many people can’t say that, but I think that is because they spend little time alone, getting to know themselves.

I am grateful for the people who enrich my life, but I am also grateful for those moments of solitude. They enrich my life as well.

3 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

I NEED my alone time - without it, I become jittery and unbalanced. Living where I live, sometimes I fear my reclusive nature is challenged - during peak tourist seasons, or by some developer from out of state coming in and wnating to make our town into some kind of thing that rhymes with Scrollywood...

My husband is retired, I work from home - there are times I think, "don't you have somewhere to go?" laughing....but, since he enjoys the quiet too, we move about and stay out of the other's ways as we work or read or whatever.

nice post.

Angie Ledbetter said...

So true about needing, craving solitude. It hasn't always been that way for me. As an identical twin, I feel and work best with the voice and presence of others to spur me on in creative endeavors. Of necessity the last few years, I've developed a love for golden silence and alone-ness spurred on by fulltime mom-hood of three loud & busy teens. Thanks for reminding me of its value and purpose. I believe we can't get our souls properly aligned without some quite introspective time with ourselves.

Barbara Quinn said...

Oh boy, do I need to be alone. I love the solitude, the sounds of the empty house, the wind outside. Then I can let my words flow. I've always spent time alone. I've even traveled alone. Socializing is important too. I enjoy the cross-pollination of ideas, need the camaraderie of a group, the counsel of a friend, the hugs of a family, but then I need to regroup, hole up in my office, and let the ole brain calm down enough to hear what it is that is trying to get out.

Listen to our Podcasts