Friday, January 11, 2008

Cups of Comfort by Angie Ledbetter

The feel of this heavy ceramic mug in my hand gives weight and substance to the beginning of my day. Having a coffeepot that can be preset at night to be ready for 6:00 a.m. is a sweet thing. That little miracle of modern technology means that no matter what else happens later in the day, no matter how my plans may go astray, at least every weekday morning is going to start out right.

Maybe it’s the special cup – I bought as a treat for myself for completing some odious task or chore which I can’t recall now – with likenesses of the literary masters at work scattered over its surface. Maybe it’s because I’m a bona fide coffee addict. Whatever the reason, everyone in my house knows not to ask me questions before I’ve made my morning trek to the coffeepot.

Swilling from my mug as I write this, I’m reminded of how important it is to appreciate life’s simple pleasures. There are nice things, no matter how small and seemingly insignificant, on which I can depend: lunch with a friend, a beautiful day which allows a breeze through the window to accompany me to work or on errands, a faithful mechanic who takes care of my old Jeep without gouging me, my funny old Boston Terrier, a new silky blanket on the bed, a stranger’s smile, a hug from a loved one. These niceties aren’t shared by everyone, and sometimes I forget that.

Today I’m going to look out for these little things that bring me joy. I’m going to name them and bask in them and make sure I don’t take them for granted. I’m positive I'll see just how much my cup overflows.

6 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

as I was reading, I was sipping my deep creek blend, while listening to the deek creek outside my window. Peace.

Anonymous said...

Dear Angie: What a truly "cupforting" piece. I now wish I could have lunch with you or run over for a cup of your great coffee. How I long for days gone by when I took for granted that my friends were only a cup of coffee away. I miss you. Love from Rocky Mountain Robin

Angie Ledbetter said...

Miss you too, girl. Shall drink my next cuppa to you.

Anonymous said...

I have a laundry list of little things that I'm grateful for. From the kids & hubby: the semi-toothless smile on, the heartfelt hug, the giggle, and the wink. It's really the little things that are special and make everything worth while. I'm grateful my family is healthy. I'm grateful it's not 22 below right now. Jess

Anonymous said...

I think what y'all are doing is quite wonderful. You should get the word out so more people can read your words and take a minute and realize that it is true ....we are all on this big rock together.....some have it SO much better than others....but we ALL have reason to be grateful. Even if it just for the occasion to make someone else smile.

From: "Christopher Robin"

Anonymous said...

Angie,

I’m so PROUD OF YOU!!! Your writing is so good!! And the premise is so needed these days. You’ve made me think twice. You GO girl!!!


Yvonne

Listen to our Podcasts