Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Two Ugly Feet by Angie Ledbetter

Of all things to appreciate, today it is my feet. Yes, they're ugly and huge, but they get the job done. Looking down at those misshapen puppies, I think, If I had feet smaller than a 10 W, those little babies would look funny trying to hold me up and keep me going. My big "grape stompers" were never meant to fit into tiny Cinderella glass slippers anyway, so it's just as well I come equipped with these. They're perfect for running after three teenagers, working various jobs, getting up and down stairs at the school where I sometimes teach, sitting in bleachers for kids' sports events, and getting me where I need to be in general.

Like a lot of things in life, I don't often think about my feet until something goes wrong. Boy, but when the pains start shooting from bone spurs, bunions or corns, then I appreciate them! I wonder why I haven't remembered to be grateful for them until they get my attention. Isn't that so true of a lot of things?

This year, I'm making a concerted effort to change my neglectful ways. I'm going to be aware of the usefulness and reliability of things I take for granted. I'm going to take care of the things, people, and body parts that serve me well.

And on that note, Sasquatch & Yeti (my feet) will shortly be treated to a full spa pedicure. They'll love me for that!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inspiring, Angie! I never thought about how grateful we should be for our "feet". I was always self-conscious about them growing up because I have "monkey toes". Boy, do I appreciate them now for I too chase around 1 teen and 2 pre-teens and spend most of my day on my feet when I am teaching. I am really enjoying your postings. God has truly blessed you with a gift.

Kathryn Magendie said...

Oh de-feet! I have small feet with high arches. When I was young, I hated it that my second toe was longer than the big toe - but, now, now that I've grown up...I... I ...I still hate it *laughing*

Anonymous said...

Angie...I have long suffered from an (anti)foot fetish, however, you have shed a new and beautiful light on these ugly "creatures." If I may make a "toes(t)" to Angie..."May you continue to "be at one" with your feet. May your gracious words continue to flow. And for goodness sakes, may you never reach the point where your writing is as "cheesy" as your toes!" hahahaha You rock Girlene! Here's to 2008! Hold your head high and your pumice stone HIGHER!! Have a beautiful day my dear friend. I love you, R:0)bin a.k.a. The Paper Whisperer

Angie Ledbetter said...

Thanks, Michelle (if that's you) for the comment. Glad you enjoyed. And Kat.......LOL. I always heard if your second toe was longer than your big toe, you were "the boss" in relationships. ;)

Barbara Quinn said...

Hey Angie, Me and my big feet take comfort in knowing the mighty oak needs a strong base to flourish. Think about that basketball player who has size 25 or 26's. Geez...how do you pack THOSE in a suitcase?

Anonymous said...

Nothing better for poor tired feet than a spa pedicure! One of the few pampering efforts I afford myself! No one notices but me, but who cares...least I know that below my holy socks and skinned up boots lie 10 perfectly polished toe nails that, in my mind, mask the corns and bunions that mark the many miles I have traveled doing all the things that men don't have a clue we do to keep the castle stabilized!

Unknown said...

The other side of that coin is a tough one too. My Mom has unusually small feet
size 5-1/2. These days she can barely find shoes to fit anymore. Even my sister, who is size 6, is having trouble. I had a 6-1/2 foot that grew to a 7 during pregnancy and stayed there. That seems to be about "average" but it also means shoes in my size sell out quickly. "Sorry, no black or brown in that size. Want to try purple?"

Anonymous said...

Mom-TMI about your feet. I mean, your back, hands, hair, ears, butt....anything but feet. You know where I stand on this issue mom. NO feet. mmmhmm.

Listen to our Podcasts