Monday, January 7, 2008

Big Nasties by Angie Ledbetter

Sometimes it’s hard to have an attitude of gratitude, even when you know how blessed you are to be living in a plentiful country in a nice home. Statistically, you know you’re better off than most of the other folks glued to this big ball called Earth. But then there are times you forget all that and get stuck in problems, sadness, worries for loved ones, or negativity.

Today I felt blah like that, stuffing envelopes for some of my kids’ school fundraiser. Why am I doing this? The kids don’t care, and I could be doing something for myself instead. Immediately after these negative feeling-sorry-for-myself thoughts, the angel on my other shoulder piped up, “You’re working with great people who care about something other than themselves. Stop whining!” That usually does the trick...looking at the bigger picture outside the moment of discomfort or seeing around the sacrifice or chore.

Then there are the Nasties – those scary, terrible events that are an unavoidable part of life. They always put things into perspective for me. My brother, a totally selfless guy, wrecked his motorcycle today. After the crisis passed and we knew he’d be okay, my attitude got a jumpstart. Being of the belief that everything happens for a reason, I conjured up several good ones for his wreck: maybe it saved him from getting killed on his bike later on; maybe it’ll bring our family closer, maybe he’ll meet a nurse and fall in love. The possibilities are endless.

Call me Pollyanna, but it works for me. Today I’m grateful for the big and small Nasties that bring new possibilities and perspective in their wake.

4 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

I needed to read this - I've got the stress nasties whirling around in my gut....I want to stop now and take a deep breath.....

I hope your BIL is doing better each day...

Angie Ledbetter said...

Brother's better today and out of the hospital. ;)

Unknown said...

Pollyanna has an undeservedly bad name. We could all use a little of her outlook.

Barbara Quinn said...

Sheesh, those big Nasties can be daunting. Sounds like you've got the right perspective, Angie. May his recovery be quick.Here's to hope, wonderful hope.

Listen to our Podcasts